Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Kerala Unniappam

After my trip to Kerala, I was so inspired to try out this recipe. I must say that this recipe turned out better than the unniappams I had in Kerala. It is so great with a cup of "chaya" for our favourite family  "Chaya Time" or "4 mani palagarams".
Kerala Unniappams

My Unniappam pan that I bought in Jogjakarta 

The batter 

Batter consistency

Frying the unniappams

 Unniappams after being turned over 


Ingredients    

2 cups rice flour lightly roasted (I used Easwari Mill Rice flour which is already lightly roasted. I did not have to roast the flour any further)
2 tbsp all purpose flour
½ cup or less brown sugar (I used brown castor sugar and added some gula Melaka syrup for additional flavour and colour)
½ - ¾  tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
3 pisang berangan (mashed with hands)
5-4 cardamom pods (take a bit of rice flour from the 2 cups of rice flour and grind this with the cardamom pods and add it back to the flour)
50 gms coconut flesh (cut into pieces and roasted in oven until brown)
2 tsps black sesame seeds
1 tsp white sesame seed - roasted slightly

Directions

  1. Mix everything together and add water a little at a time until the batter comes to a a dropping consistency. Around 1-1 ½ cups of water
  2. Leave batter aside for around ½ hour to 1 hour
  3. After about 1 hour or so, heat a unniyappam pan and pour in some oil, at least half full.
  4. Drop spoonfuls of batter into the unniyappam mould.
  5. Make a 180 deg turn  once the bottom of the  unniyappam is firm enough to be flipped over.
  6. Pick unniyappams with a toothpick when they are evenly browned.
  7. Leave the appams on a paper towel to aborb the oil.
  8. Let the unniyappms cool down and enjoy with a hot cup of masala tea.

Note: Unniappams turned out very well. Was not too sweet, was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Perfect…. :)))

I actually got my bronze unniappam pan in Jogjakarta. Of course it is not called a unniappam pan there but something else....





No comments:

Post a Comment